What is Sculptra?
Sculptra is an FDA-approved injectable that helps gradually replace lost collagen-the most common protein in the body that is used to form a framework to support cells and tissue-for results that can last up to two years.
Sculptra addresses an underlying cause of facial aging, not just the symptoms. As a poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) collagen stimulator, Sculptra helps restore the deep, underlying structure of the skin to diminish facial wrinkles.
Sculptra works with your body within the deep dermis to help revitalize collagen production and help restore your skin’s inner structure and volume.
As the Sculptra PLLA microparticles are absorbed, they help stimulate collagen production.
Rebuilt collagen strands begin gradually helping to restore facial volume and the look of fullness to wrinkles and folds.
Not All Anti-Aging Treatments Are the Same:
Collagen creams: Collagen creams do not fully penetrate to the dermis, so most topical treatments are effective as moisturizers that briefly improve the skin's appearance.
Collagen Supplements: When ingested, the digestive system breaks down collagen proteins and their effectiveness remains inconclusive.
Toxins: Toxins temporarily weaken muscles to minimize frown lines in the forehead. Results typically last a couple months.
Fillers: Works immediately upon injection to fill in lines, wrinkles, and folds.
Which areas does Sculptra treat?
Sculptra is used to correct shallow to deep wrinkles and folds on the face. Administered with the appropriate injection technique from a trained specialist, Sculptra is clinically approved for:
- Deep folds between the nose and mouth (nasolabial folds), also called “smile lines”
- Lines framing the mouth (marionette lines)
- Chin wrinkles
How many treatments are required?
On average, a series of three treatment sessions over the course of a few months may be needed. The number of injections at each session will vary, depending on the degree of correction needed and the treatment plan determined by you and your specialist.
How soon will I see results?
Sculptra is designed to give you noticeable results that emerge gradually and can last up to two years. Don’t be disappointed if you don’t see immediate results. A few days after treatment, you may look as you did before treatment. This is normal and temporary. The Sculptra regimen delivers its full effects with an average of three treatment sessions over the course of a few months. Because results happen gradually, you’ll see subtle, yet noticeable, results in the reduction of facial wrinkles and folds by comparing images before treatment and a couple months following treatment.
Sculptra Pre and Post Instructions
After each treatment session with Sculptra there are a few easy things you will need to help with the treatment results. You can print out this instruction sheet and keep it handy so you remember to do these things every day:
- HAVE AN - ice pack ready: Within the first 24 hours of treatment, apply a cloth-wrapped ice pack to the treated area for a few minutes at a time. Never apply ice directly to the skin. The cold will help reduce common swelling.
- GIVE YOURSELF - facial massages: Massage the treated area for 5 minutes 5 times a day for 5 days after treatment as recommended by your physician.
- AVOID - excess sunlight and UV exposure: Protecting your skin from the sun is always important, but after treatment, excessive sunlight and UV lamp exposure should be avoided until any initial swelling and redness go away. Your doctor will provide guidelines on sunscreen protection and how to avoid excessive sunlight.
Call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns after treatment. Also, report any side effects to your doctor. Be sure to keep any follow-up appointments that may be scheduled.
Remember, Sculptra works by gradually replacing lost collagen. It provides improvements subtly without making it look like you’ve had work done.
- DO massage the treated areas 5 times a day for about 5 minutes for 5 days after treatment.
- DO hold ice packs on the treated areas gently for about 3-5 minutes a few times that day.
- Feel free to wear makeup a few hours after.
- Treated areas may be red, swollen, and bruised for the first 2-7 days.
- Do NOT get a facial or massage for 2 weeks after your filler procedure.
- Avoid strenuous workouts and alcohol for 24 hours if possible.
- If bruising occurs, continue Arnica supplements, DO apply topical Arnica gel, drink fresh pineapple juice, and/or take
- Bromelain supplements to help bruising resolve faster.
- Bruising can be covered with makeup.
- A few days after treatment, you will look as you did before treatment. This is normal, over time, Sculptra will replace lost collagen.
- Follow-up treatments should be scheduled about every 4-6 weeks.
- Visible results may not be seen until 2-3 sessions have been completed.
- Results can last more than two years.